DANGER – NiMH battery BURN UP – No EXPLOSION but hefty FIRE FLAMES BURNING and SMOKE
NiMH battery burn up
MurphyÂ´s law has again hit !
I wanted to unwrap a newer NiMH Double A Mignon cell to get the Nickel mesh foil electrode,
but unfortunately I used a still well charged AA cell.
Suddenly the cell when I unwrapped it got extremly warm and hot and finally ignited and burned up.
Fortunately I did this over my sink, so nothing could burn up…!
But the whole kitchen was on smoke from the fire and I wonder what metal oxides now have collected all over my kitchen…
Anyway, I was lucky my kitchen and flat did not burn up. If I had done it in my living room,
it could have happened…
So in the future I will now be a lot more cautious with NiMH batteries !
Probably I did a shortout when I unwrapped the cell and as it was still pretty much charged up, the energy went into total combustion .
Next time if I will ever again need to open up a NiMH cell I will firstly discharge it, before doing it again…
Anyway a new experience which was fortunate not to set my flat on fire…
So be very cautious if you do the same and always discharge the battery cell if you want to open them up…
Link to this video: